General Highway and Transportation Map of Clark County, Arkansas
Arkansas State Highway Commission
Located in Southwest Arkansas, Clark County was founded in 1818 and established in 1819. The county seat is Arkadelphia. It is one of the original five counties that made up the Arkansas Territory.
The Arkansas State Highway Commission was created in 1913 by Act 302 during the 39th Arkansas General Assembly. Originally consisting of three members appointed by the Governor, its earliest mission was to supervise and maintain road construction while coordinating with counties and communities. Throughout its first few decades of existence, the Commission faced difficulties with funding, support and controversy. In the 1940's, the Commission's problems began to even out with the passing of Acts 42 and 239, Amendment 42 and the election of Governor Sid McMath. Membership was increased to 12 members and Commission oversight increased.
Printed highway and transportation map of Clark County, Arkansas. The legend is in the bottom left corner. The map shows roads and highways, highway bridges, toll ferries, railroads and railroad stations, towns, cemeteries, farm units and dwellings, businesses, churches, schools, factories, sawmills, camps and lodges, mines, quarries and parks.
Map, 11" x 16"
Clark County, Arkansas
United State Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Public Roads
Arkansas State Archives
General Highway and Transportation Map of Clark County, Arkansas, Map1745, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas
Rights and Usage
“Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.