Business Building and Street, Eureka Springs, Carroll County, Arkansas
Second Flat-Iron Building, Eureka Springs, Carroll County, Arkansas
Flatiron buildings are structures built between 1880 and 1926, generally in Beaux-Arts or Renaissance Revival architectural designs popular of the era. The buildings are identified as flatirons because they are shaped like a flat clothes iron and built on trapezoid-shaped lots common in the 19th and early 20th century city grids, to make efficient use of the space available.
The Flat-Iron Building at the corner of Main (Center) and Spring Streets in Eureka Springs is considered the first Flat-Iron building constructed in the United States, built in 1880. It was destroyed by fire in 1890. A second Flat-Iron building (pictured) in Eureka Springs was constructed a few years later and was then destroyed by fire in 1925. A third Flat-Iron building was constructed in 1989.
Undated black and white photograph of Eureka Springs' second Flat-Iron Building, with several retail stores shown including Walker Bros. Clothing Store, Wright's Beauty Parlor, and T. J. Rice Shoe Shop, an unnamed real estate office, and a county Justice of the Peace office.
Black and white photograph, 9''x6''.
Architecture; Buildings; Photographs
Eureka Springs, Carroll County. (Ark.)
Strolling Down Main Street
Arkansas State Archives
"Business Building and Street, Eureka Springs, Carroll County, Arkansas" PHC4826.01, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.