During the 1940s the Washington School was housed in the former Hempstead County Courthouse, which was built in 1874. The county seat had relocated from Washington to Hope in 1939. The gymnasium, located behind the school, was built in 1940 with assistance from the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
Photograph of Washington High School students playing tennis in the WPA gym
Photograph, 2.5" X 2.5"
Gymnasiums; Schools; Tennis players; Work Progress Administration;
Washington, Hempstead County. (Ark.)
MSF014 Clara Dudney Collection Scrapbook 2 page 4
Go, Fight, Win! A History of Sports in Arkansas
Arkansas State Archives
Washington High School, WPA Gym, Clara Dudney collection, MSF014, Arkansas State Archives, Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives, Washington, Arkansas.
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501.682.6900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.