In 1929, the first Malvern Colored School was built and named the Malvern Rosenwald School. High school classes were added to the school in 1942 and would continue serving as the community's African American school until 1952 when A.A. Wilson High School was built. The school was named for Annie Agnes Wilson, a beloved African American teacher in Malvern. A.A.Wilson High School would stay open through the late 1960's, closing in 1970 when Malvern finally integrated.
This is a black and white photograph of the boy's basketball team at Malvern Colored High School. M.L. Johnson was the basketball coach.
Photograph, 5.25" x 3.5"
Sports; Basketball; Basketball players; Schools;
Malvern, Hot Spring County. (Ark.)
Go, Fight, Win! A History of Sports in Arkansas
Arkansas State Archives
Malvern Colored High School Boy's Basketball Team, G5710.14, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.