Early in 1912 the Pine Bluff Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), decided to present a "stand of colors" to the new U.S.S. Arkansas battleship, which would include a United States flag, a naval battalion flag, and an Arkansas flag. Secretary of State Earle W. Hodges informed the DAR group that Arkansas had no state flag, which led the Pine Bluff Chapter to immediately launch a movement to obtain one. Through the newspapers, they asked that designs be submitted to Secretary of State Hodges, who agreed to appoint a committee to select an official flag. Sixty-five separate designs were considered by Hodges' committee. The design chosen was the work of Willie Kavanaugh Hocker of Wabbaseka, a member of the Pine Bluff Chapter, DAR. The Arkansas General Assembly passed a resolution on February 26, 1913, affirming the choice of the committee. The Arkansas State Archives holds 43 of the submitted designs.
The flag has red, white and blue vertical stripes. In the middle white stripe is the Arkansas state seal. Underneath the seal is the word, "Arkansas" in red lettering. Written on back: "Scale 6x9", proportion 1x1 1/2, On a field divided in three: - 1st third, red; 2nd third, white with coat of arms of Arkansas emblazoned in proper colors - surmounting the word, in red, Arkansas;' 3rd third, Blue (same blue as in National flag). Should the effect, 1st third blue, 2nd third white, 3rd third red, be preferred, the effect can be obtained by turning the present design upside down. In that event, of course, the coat of arms would have to be turned also (repainted) in proper position."
One color drawing
Drawings; Competition drawings; State flags;
Arkansas State Archives
Red, White and Blue State Seal Flag, Flag27a, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas