Early in 1912 the Pine Bluff Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), decided to present a "stand of colors" to the new U.S.S. Arkansas battleship, which would include a United States flag, a naval battalion flag, and an Arkansas flag. Secretary of State Earle W. Hodges informed the DAR group that Arkansas had no state flag, which led the Pine Bluff Chapter to immediately launch a movement to obtain one. Through the newspapers, they asked that designs be submitted to Secretary of State Hodges, who agreed to appoint a committee to select an official flag. Sixty-five separate designs were considered by Hodges' committee. The design chosen was the work of Willie Kavanaugh Hocker of Wabbaseka, a member of the Pine Bluff Chapter, DAR. The Arkansas General Assembly passed a resolution on February 26, 1913, affirming the choice of the committee. The Arkansas State Archives holds 43 of the submitted designs.
This flag design is a color drawing of horizontal red and blue diamonds on a white background. There are six red and three blue - one row of red followed by a row of blue and another row of red. Fordyce notes that he chose diamonds for this design because Arkansas is the only state in the Union that produces diamonds. He says about the design, "The merits of this design are; it is very conspicuous also its originality."
One color drawing
Drawings; Competition drawings; State flags;
Arkansas State Archives
Small Diamonds Flag, Flag34a, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas