In 1897, the congregation of B'nai Israel built a cream-colored, pressed-bricked building with a Byzantine-inspired dome capping a Romanesque tower with tall Gothic windows and spires, on Broadway and Capitol Streets in Little Rock, Arkansas. The interior, showing elements of Grecian and Roman theater architecture, was designed to seat up to 700 individuals. This temple was dedicated by Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise on May 9, 1897.
A street-view postcard in black and white of the B'nai Israel temple, published by the Souvenir Postcard Company of New York.
Temple B'nai Israel G6147.1, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.