Named for early bathhouse owner John Hale, the present Hale Bathhouse is at least the fourth building to use this name, although the first Hale Bathhouse, built in the early 1850s, was on a site south of the present building. It more than likely burned, along with most of the rest of the town, during the civil war. After the war ended, the second Hale House was constructed on the present site, with its bathhouse situated on the opposite side of the creek. Sometime before 1882, a Victorian style bathhouse was built on the site by William Nelson. The present Hale Bathhouse is the oldest visible structure on Bathhouse Row. Most of the present structure was completed in 1892, as designed by George and Fremont Orff. A major 1914
remodel by the Little Rock architectural firm of George Mann and Eugene Stern significantly enlarged the red-brick building and modified its style to Classical Revival. It cost over $50,000. The present building has 12,000 square feet on the two main floors.
This is a C.T. American Art postcard of the Hale Bath House and Hotel of Hot Springs, Arkansas, as it appeared in 1851. It was never sent.
Color Postcard: 5 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Bathhouses; National parks & reserves; Resorts; Postcards;
Hot Springs, Garland County. (Ark.)
Arkansas State Archives
Hale Bath House and Hotel in 1851, G1351.5, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.