In 1924, C. A. Franke opened the original Franke’s Cafeteria at 115 West Capitol Ave. in Little Rock. The cafeteria was located near the major department stores and businesses in downtown Little Rock and easily prospered. A separate dining room was opened around the corner at 511 Louisiana St. In 1960, the original cafeteria closed its doors, but not before inspiring newer locations around the state, including Hot Springs, Fort Smith, North Little Rock’s McCain Mall, and Little Rock’s University Mall. Today, the cafeteria has come full circle with a location on West Capitol in the Regions Banking Center and a location on Rodney Parham. Franke's Cafeteria, Arkansas's oldest restaurant, is run by the founder's grandson and his family.
This color postcard depicts scenes of Franke's Cafeteria at their Hot Springs location, including the exterior of the cafeteria, the rear of the east dining room, a section of the west dining room, and the view through the lobby. The postcard was never mailed.
Color Postcard: 5 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Postcards; Restaurants; Cafeterias
Hot Springs,Garland County. (Ark.)
Arkansas State Archives
Franke's Cafeteria postcard, AHC G4443, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at email@example.com.