In 1899, acting pursuant to an amendment to Ark. Const. Art. 17, Section 10, the Arkansas legislature created the Arkansas Railroad Commission. Though relating only to railroads and express companies, the act creating the Railroad Commission charged it with the duty to ensure that rates were just and reasonable, and to respond to complaints from the public about rates.
In 1919, the Arkansas Corporation Commission was created as the successor to the Railroad Commission. Its regulatory powers were extended to services and facilities and its jurisdiction was enlarged to include regulation of telegraph and telephone companies; pipeline companies for the transportation of oil, gas and water; gas companies; electric lighting companies; hydro-electric companies for the generation and transmission of light, heat or power; and water companies, furnishing water.
In 1921, the Corporation Commission was abolished and the Railroad Commission was recreated. In the process, the Corporation Commission's original jurisdiction over utilities operating within the limits of any municipality was removed and that regulatory jurisdiction was placed with the municipalities.
In 1933, the Arkansas Corporation Commission was reestablished. The Commission was vested with the powers of several other commissions which were abolished, including the Railroad Commission.
Printed color map of Arkansas showing railroad routes across the state. There is a black and white image of the state capitol building and a smaller state map showing the Congressional districts in the lower right corner of the map.
Arkansas Railroad Commission's Official Map, Map1435, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at email@example.com.