Round tin ID badge with color-coded red border for the type of personnel and a B/W mug shot of the employee in front of a height chart with the number “ 566”. “Southwestern Proving Ground” is on the metal border framing the mug shot. A vinyl or clear plastic cover protects the photo. The back has a pin device for attaching the badge to clothing. The red border may indicate clerical personnel.
Badge, 1.88" diameter
Identification photographs; Women; War; War work; Ordnance industry;
This item is an artifact of the Southwestern Proving Ground. Its construction and operation ended the Depression in the region and permanently changed the landscape. The SPG tested shells, ordnance and bombs starting in early 1942. Land acquisition and construction by the W. E. Callahan Construction Company of Omaha, NE, had started in 1940 with 4,000 workers. Workers were transported into the SPG from the surrounding towns for their jobs by a fleet of buses. The population of nearby Hope swelled to over 12,000 during this period. The SPG closed at the end of WWII. - Peggy Lloyd
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at email@example.com.