Black and white photograph of the old Powhatan Swing Bridge over the Black River. The Powhatan Courthouse is in the upper left corner, and the Black River ferry is on the right side at roughly midpoint. Ferries were the primary means of crossing the Black River for decades before the first bridge was built across the river. The swing bridge replaced the ferry as the primary means of crossing the river. The last ferry to close was the Black River ferry near Powhatan in 1935. The old swing bridge was dismantled in 1957 and was soon after replaced by a metal trestle bridge.
There are very few pictures remaining of the swing bridge and ferry which were the primary means of access to Powhatan from the Eastern District of Lawrence County which was across the river. It helps bring the past to life and provide visual context for many of the court records in our collection. -Meredith McFadden
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.