The Concatenated Order of Hoo-Hoo was founded in Gurdon, Arkansas, at the Hotel Hall on January 21, 1892. The organization’s title comes from the terms “concatenated,” meaning united, and “Hoo-Hoo,” a lumberman term used to describe the unusual. It is a fraternal service organization consisting of people affiliated with the wood products industry. Their black cat mascot comes from the Ancient Egyptian belief of cats being symbolic of a deity. The Hoo-Hoo is governed by a Board of Directors; nine members of the board, including Supreme Gurdon, are a part of a group called the “Supreme Nines.”
Graysonia, Arkansas was a company town in Clark County, established by the Grayson-Mcleod Lumber Company in 1907 to harvest lumber. It was one of the largest producers of timber in the country during World War I, but as the Great Depression reduced demand and poor conservation policies reduced supply, the mill closed. The town switched to mining cinnabar, but that lasted only a few years. The population of Graysonia in the 1950 U.S. Census was zero and it is now considered a ghost town.
George H. Grayson was the son of William Grayson, President of the Grayson-Mcleod Lumber Company and the namesake of Graysonia. George became the mill manager following his father’s death in 1910, and held this position until his family merged the company with the Ozan Lumber Company to form the Ozan-Graysonia Lumber Company in 1915.
A brown envelope with return address, stationary for George H. Grayson, Supreme Gurdon of the Concatenated Order of Hoo-Hoo.
Envelope, 9.5" x 4.5"
Envelopes; Fraternal organizations;
The Concatenated Order of Hoo-Hoo and Graysonia are essential aspects of why the lumber industry is important to Clark County history. To get that much information from one envelope is impressive. -Darren Bell
Graysonia, Clark County. (Ark.); Gurdon, Clark County. (Ark.)
Kenneth L. Smith Collection, MS.000245, Folder 9
Tales from the Vault - Celebrating 110 Years
Arkansas State Archives
Envelope, Graysonia Concatenated Order of Hoo-Hoo, Kenneth L. Smith Collection, MS.000245, Folder 9, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6900 or email at email@example.com